WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG

Welcome

My personal journal blog is a little bit of this and a little bit of that which I love to share with you all here- trough pictures, summaries, articles and videos.

Don't hesitate to leave comment, follow my blog or grab my blog button and when you do, let me know so I can return back your favor.

It is awesome to connect with anyone in any part of the world so sit back and I hope you enjoy your stay here and come back again for more.

Thank You

Welcome to Mignonesia

Saturday, October 09, 2010

HERBAL REMEDIES: PURPLE SWEET POTATOES TO PREVENT CANCER?


I bought these Purple Sweet potatoes at the traditional market near my house.
We called it Ubi Ungu here in Indonesia or Ganola for Sundanese. 
This Purple sweet potato have been grown in Mexico, Philippines and Indonesia forever.
I don't know at your place, maybe you don't find it in everyday market or they treating it as luxury item or you have to shop them in Asian groceries but I live in Indo so yes,  I can find it relatively easy with only half dollar per kilo. Very cheap for such types of nutritional items ya.:)

I've been wanting to post about the health benefits of this Purple sweet potato and share the infos with everyone here who  probably in seeking ways to lowers the risk of cancer like myself. 
Do you know that Purple sweet potato or pronounce as Purple Fleshed has remarkable anti-cancer components? Hm..speaking about herbal remedy. 
I say it worth to try and I did it for the past six months! ^-^ 
  
I know about the health benefits of Purple sweet potato since couple years ago. I happened to watch a business program on local TV that featured   Adi Kharisma
the owner of Sela Boga outlets and coordinator of the community of Bali rice and sweet potato growers who initiate producing Ubi(sweet potato)and made his products gaining popularity as a novelty.

So I started to browse and browse to get more info about this Purple sweet potato and I found that many articles mentioned Soyoung Lim, a doctoral student  in human nutrition at Kansas University. She working with Dr.George Wang- who lead the study researcher, studying the pigment effects of purple sweet potato .The study determined that the purple sweet potato had significantly higher anthocyanin contents compared to the other potatoes.
And what is anthocyanin? well am not the scientist so I just quoted what Lim said, "Anthocyanin is a pigment that presents the purple color in vegetable and have been epidemiologically associated with a reduced cancer risk" On further research, Lim also found that Purple sweet potato had a much higher total phenolic content and antioxidant capacity.
Sweet potatoes also may save your life if you are frequently exposed to second hand smoke.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamins C and A by their nature- A powerful antioxidants that's work in the body nature to eliminate free radicals. Free radicals damage cells and can cause heart disease, diabetes and colon cancer. Yea,  I got the AHA moment right there.:)


A part of  all those benefits that we could get, this Purple sweet potato is easy to process. 
Simply washed them, steam them with skin on and in several minutes they are ready to be served for breakfast or snacks. 
You can also make cake with this Purple sweet potatoes but I am not good with baking so I pass that.  
I just love to see how the purple color looks after they cooked, very lovely purple color! ^^
 
Oh here's some tips: Storing sweet potatoes in the refrigerator will alter their flavor. 
Sweet potatoes last for about two weeks when stored in a cool, dark, well-ventilated area.

Well, there you have my update for herbal remedy after sooo long, hope its informative enough. Please note that this article is not intended to provide medical advice , diagnostic or treatment tho.
Hope you all heading a nice weekend where ever you are and hope you come back visit Mig again for a special post!
I wont tell you what it is yet-its still a secret okay so I guess am just gonna WOW you.*SIGH*

Source


Sweet Potato


2 comments:

  1. I love this ungu ubi very much but it's expensive here cause it can be found at cold places. I love it cause it's sweet and of course very nutritious. Nanti aku ke Bandung mau beli ubi ungu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I thought so.. I browse on the net and they sell them very expensive unlike here ,ubi ungu is quite cheap here. Kalau sedang musim, murah sekali. Mudah ,udahan Asmah bisa nemu ubi ungu di Bandung nanti yaaaa:)

    ReplyDelete

You people are amazing! Thank you for your time visiting and reading my entries. Please don't leave my blog a secret, I'd love to hear what you think about this one too!✿◠‿◠
Ps: Anyone can post comments on my posts but starting this year 2013, any comment contains commercial product or services advertisement without my permission/agreement, will be deleted by me. Sorry! ✿>‿♥